Oct 17, 2019
We used to dream of all the things we could and should 3D print
and today we’re actually making them! Kris Steward joins Roger
Cicala to discuss how a 3D printer he bought from Kickstarter lead
to a room full of printers here at Lensrentals. He tells us the
items he’s making, from beefing up battery doors to figuring out
workarounds and bringing new items for Lensrentals into existence.
It started with making our own gaskets and we’re currently printing
67 unique items. They range from things for products we couldn’t
source for repair purposes, we’d make to ensure the product you
rented was as close to how it would be if you bought it.
- Gear mentioned in this episode:
- PETG, (polyethylene terephthalate) Which has a high melt point
so it’s high enough we can ship it and it won’t deform.
- Kris recommends using a parametric based CAD software
- TinkerCad is free and what Kris started with
- Fusion360 is where Kris has
settled and what he uses currently
- To get started yourself on a less immersive level:
- Check your cities local maker spaces if you’re looking to get
something 3D printed for the first time.
- 3Dhubs is based out of Chicago and professionally
prints for you
- Shapeways 3D prints professionally and ships out of
- Spotlight on the Panasonic S1
- Joey loves that the tech previously available in only M4/3 is
now available to use in a full-frame camera.
- It’s a big beefy camera which feels great in hand
- Buttons are all laid out smartly
- EVF is nice and clear and bright
- Inbody stabilization is everything you’ve come to expect from
Panasonic and works incredibly well. Joey can handhold shots down
to 1/4 a second.
- AF and tracking work really well and better than the SL1
- Important to tweak it to your style of shooting before heading
out into the field, which is easy to do
- With the advent of the L-mount, there will be more lenses, such
a the Sigma Art and Leica L mount and M-mount too!
- The Lensrentals Podcast is a production of Lensrentals, founded
by Roger Cicala. Our production staff includes Drew Cicala, Ryan
Hill, Sarah McAlexander, SJ Smith, Julian Harper, John Tucker, and
Zach Sutton. Other contributors include Roger Cicala, Joey Miller,
Ally Aycock Patterson, Joshua Richardson, and Philip Robertson.
- Thanks to Jacques
Granger for our theme song.
- Submit a topic
idea, question or comment, leave
us a voicemail at 901-609-LENS, or send us an email